Monday, May 16, 2005

Housman. The Traveler.

I'll take my seat beside the window. There will be an empty seat to my left, and you will fill the window seat across the aisle from me. Large and technologically advanced headphones will frame my face, glowing orange from the evening sun, as I gaze insightfully out of the airplane. My expression will speak volumes about my deep and profound understanding of life. The particular form of understanding that comes only from long and difficult journeys into the heart of third world nations. "Oh yes," my eyes will say, "I have seen many harrowed and wonderful things, showing me the true nature of life on earth." You will be envious of the obvious knowing revealed in my confident stare. I will notice that you cannot keep yourself from looking at me, and so I will work at appearing even more tranquil in an effort to shatter all that you thought you knew about yourself and the world. My attempt will succeed. You will first begin to forget exactly where you are flying. When you remember, you will be excruciatingly disappointed after comparing your travel itenerary to what you imagine mine to be. Following this, an intense self-laothing will creep into your psyche.

3 comments:

Justin Cooley said...

I first read this piece in Penthouse Forum. A really boring issue of Penthouse Forum.

Anonymous said...

Yeah dude, you completely forgot the part about playboyesque third world brothels. In fact that knowing journeymans stare comes from the realizion that if you can get one latina playmate for $50US, you might as well get four.

Anonymous said...

you can get twice the mamacita for half that in euro. f-cking exchange rates...