Sunday, March 13, 2005

Carnal pleasures.

I've recently noticed that when eating a meal, I become concerned that I won't finish with the best testing thing on the plate, the logic being that if I eat the best thing last, I've maximized my eating pleasure. Usuallly about 3/4 of the way through is when I have to start deciding what the last bite should be. On occasion, I find myself staring at two pieces of food left on the plate, each with a contrast in flavor. Do I end with sweet? Salty? Really, it is a very important decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i say shove it all down your gullet at once and hope for the best.

hey HZA, i got this letter i wrote you all ready to mail out, but i don't have your address. i tried to get it from J-MO, but he didn't have it, either. can you email it to me? (ned38@hotmail.com).

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the eternal question: what to eat last. I generally do something similar to Josh's "smash it all together" approach, cutting the last few bites into small pieces and making little last-bite sandwiches that combine the flavor of everything on the plate.

However, I find the real answer is: after-dinner coffee, tea or, perhaps, a little tipple. That relieves most of the last-bite anxiety because you can say to yourself, "Well, after this, I get to enjoy a fabulous cup of coffee" which, if you enjoy coffee like I do (and I think you do), is a way to take the guesswork out of finishing the meal on a high note.
-dlc