Sunday, July 31, 2005

Bye Chris

Here I am back in town for a couple of days before I head off to the mountains for the last couple of weeks of this job, very excited to be back home, spending time with people I care about, and I am hit with the news that Chris Gibson died while I was away. I am having a difficult time accepting this as an even remote possibility. I guess that we don't normally try to imagine the death of a friend, but I never thought about how I would feel if Gibson was gone. And it turns out that I feel fucking awful about it. I'll miss you Chris, you taught me alot about some of the most important things in life, whether you intended to or not. I promise that I'll finish that Wittgenstein and the Marcuse that you gave me.

Fuck. Well, I suppose that I have stories about the mountains that I could tell all y'all, but I'm not in the mood. What I can tell you is that the crew is slightly more bearable, but the mountains have officially lost their charm. Yeah it was great being up there for the first few weeks, but wow technology is magnificient, no? Also a previously unconsidered treat is simply being able to "go inside". I'll have more tales to tell when I return home for good in two and a half weeks, but for now, you will simply have to remain in suspense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3

Ice Moon Expedition said...

Chris was a great friend of mine as well. His loss has been felt far and wide. I have several postings about him on my site: http://mermaidavenue1974.blogspot.com/