Monday, June 06, 2005

I am a selfish idiot

I went to Visalia and Fresno yesterday to attend a grad/birthday party for a cousin of mine whom I have not seen for about 8 years, at a minimum. My other cousins, her siblings, and her parents-my aunt and uncle-were there of course as well. I was nervous as all hell because: 1) I havent seen the cousins since they were small children 2) I remember these people being alarmingly religious 3) I was fearful of conversation turning to politics. As it turns out, they are terrific people, and I am a huge asshole. I can't believe that I have lived with no family contact for so long. We got along great, it was like no time had passed at all. Even more shocking was how much I kind of missed Visalia. I have been there only once since I moved away, at age 13, and as soon as I got into the city I felt like I was home. More than I do at Morro Bay. Even more shocking than the previous threshold breaking shock was how even though the people attending this party, including my relatives, are the epitome of mainstream, mainstreet, red state, conservative America, they were all so damned nice. Everyone was so concerned with each other's welfare, children, friends, etc. If only they could extend that enthusiasm towards the rest of the country and the world. ALSO, my aunt (that I see on a regular basis-not the Fresno one) randomly ran into my Father in Visalia on Saturday. He was apparently extremely interested in me contacting him, which means that I may actually be able to live out my fantasy of playing catch with my dad this summer. I can't believe it, but being in the valley this weekend was one of the best weekends of my life. Seriously.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you see your dad, tell him he was great in "bull durham".

Justin Cooley said...

Is it possible that the Peace Corps could send you to Fresno?

Housman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

bloggy blog blog blog blog. bloggy bli bloggy blu, bloggy blah blah blah...

Anonymous said...

That's hella cool. I mean, thyat's the next best thing to meeting Chloe Dove. Hmmm, what if you dad is Chloe Dove? www.myspace.com/joosh